During your PADI Divemaster and Dive Instructor IDC Course you need to perform a PADI Dive Skill Workshop (Skill Circuit) demonstrating most of the PADI Open Water Diver skills. You will be scored a between a 1 and a 5, with a 5.0 being the highest score and a 1.0 the lowest.
PADI Standards from the PADI Dive Instructor Manual for the Divemaster and IDC Course states:
“To demonstrate all scuba and skin diving skills, scoring at least a 3 on each skill, and scoring at least 82 points total, with at least one underwater skill to a 5”.
Describe for candidates the characteristics of a demonstration quality skill, and explain that the focus is on exaggerating the critical attributes.
Demonstrate each skill, and have candidates practice.
After practice, have candidates perform each skill for a score. Remediate as necessary until candidates meet the performance requirement.
5.0 Exercise performed correctly, slowly and with exaggerated movement – appeared easy
4.0 Exercise performed correctly and slowly enough to adequately exhibit or illustrate details of skill
3.0 Exercise performed correctly, though too quickly to adequately exhibit or illustrate details of the skill
2.0 Exercise performed with significant difficulty or error
1.0 Candidate unable to perform exercise
Note: These criteria are used to score skill evaluations throughout all levels of PADI leadership training: PADI Divemaster, PADI Diving Instructor, PADI IDC Staff Instructor and PADI Course Director.
To meet the performance requirements of the Divemaster course PADI standards states that you only have to pass 1 Dive Skill Workshop (Skill Circuit). We at Sairee Cottage Diving Koh Tao believe that this is not enough to become a successful and good Divemaster. Our mission at Sairee Cottage Diving is to train only Divemasters and Dive Instructors with the highest quality possible. For this reason our Divemaster Candidates need to complete 3 PADI Dive Skill Workshops (Skill Circuits) during their Divemaster course.
We even put the level of quality even higher during the PADI Dive Instructor IDC course as we only pass our IDC candidates with 5.0 full points on all skills.
To get a 5.0 highest score on a dive skill at Sairee Cottage Diving you need to not only perform an exercise correctly, slowly and with exaggerated movement but also we want to see our IDC candidates turn their bodies during certain dive skills to make shore that all the diving students can see critical moments during the dive skill demonstration. We also want to see during the demonstration a lot of “reminders” of important steps to perform the dive skill well and safe. On top of this we only give a 5.0 if the IDC candidate reminds their recreational students about any time or distance in a particular PADI dive skill.
According to PADI Dive Instructor manual these are the dive skills:
1. Equipment assembly, adjustment, preparation, donning and disassembly
2. Pre-dive safety check (BWRAF)
3. Deep-water entry
4. Buoyancy check at surface
5. Snorkel-regulator/regulator-snorkel exchange
6. Five-point descent
7. Regulator recovery and clearing
8. Mask removal, replacement and clearing
9. Air depletion exercise and alternate air source use (stationary)
10. Alternate air source-assisted ascent
11. Free-flowing regulator breathing
12. Neutral buoyancy – using both oral and low pressure inflation
13. Five-point ascent
14. Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent
15. Hover motionless for 30 seconds
16. Underwater swim without a mask
17. Remove and replace weight system underwater
18. Remove and replace scuba unit underwater
19. Remove and replace scuba unit on the surface
20. Remove and replace weight system on the surface
21. Vertical, head first skin dive
22. Swim at least 15 meters/50 feet underwater on a single breath while skin diving.
23. Snorkel clear using the blast method after ascending from a skin dive.
24. Snorkel clear using the displacement method after ascending from a skin dive.
At Sairee Cottage Diving in Thailand we have made Videos showing in clear and great detail the skill demonstrations of most of the required dive skills. Please watch them all to prepare yourself well for your PADI Divemaster course or PADI Dive Instructor IDC course with us on Koh Tao in Thailand.
Video’s:[table id=3 /]